Nutritional Strategies for Health & Performance
“Linking science to practice through dietary assessment, education, and practical with relevant interventions”
Shelly Meltzer & Associates offer a complete package of dietary services for anyone who wants to optimise his or her diet in order to improve their health and performance. The practice focuses on delivering scientifically based solutions that link the science and practice of nutrition.
Our team of dietitians has a wealth of clinical and sports nutrition training and experience, which enables us to offer dietary interventions in order to treat clinical conditions and sports specific diets for recreational and elite athletes. We also keep abreast of scientific developments and maintain a close link with the UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine (ESSM) and the Division of Human Nutrition (Department of Human Biology) through teaching and research projects.
An exciting and dynamic addition to our dietary practice is the Trufood Station, which is located in the main foyer of the SSISA. Our dietitians work closely with the chefs to ensure a daily offering of healthy fresh foods that meet the specific requirements of all ages, stages and physical demands of its customers.
Our services include:
- Nutritional support for all athletes in all phases of training and competition
- Diets that are tailored to meet the individual’s needs (based on a comprehensive assessment)
- Discovery Vitality Nutrition Assessments
- Menu coordination for teams, expeditions and adventure athletes travelling locally, and internationally
- Practical workshops for athletes and coaches
- Nutrition interventions for wellness and corporate programmes. This includes workshops, shopping trips and cooking classes
- Education: course development for Allied Health professionals and chefs, the lay public and from school-going to postgraduate students
- Product development and consultation to the food industry on food labeling and legislation – and more specifically on marketing their products appropriately to target groups
- The writing of articles, brochures and other nutrition educational material.
Clinical & Sports Nutrition
Contact Person: Rowena Visagie
Tel: 021 659 5660
Cell: 082 425 7234
Contact Person: Sarah Chantler
Tel: 021 659 5660
Cell: 082 296 5838
Contact Person: Toni Smith
Tel: 021 659 5646
Cell: 072 999 3054
Contact Person: Karlien Duvenage
Cell: 084 587 9000